Jordan in Rio

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Jordan's First Letter Home

Family!
I have missed all of you, and thanks Mom for the letter, I have a very short amount of time to write, so I will be fast. The MTC is such a good place and the spirit of the Lord is strong here. I am so grateful for this experience! Tell Allison that I am sorry I missed her birthday, but I did remember it. I don't understand how a missionary here in the MTC could not enjoy the work we do here; they probably were not wanting to learn. It has only been three days and I have learned so much about Portuguese! For example; I have learned how to pray, and I have learned to share my testimony, and I have learned much about grammar and such. From the first day our 2 teachers, Brother Oakozaki and Brother Brugh have only taught us in Portuguese. It is amazing how much I can catch on to when I don't even speak the language, by just paying attention. Here in the MTC it seems that we really live the law of consecration. I mean, we all pay the same amount for our missions and it all goes into a big melting pot so that missionaries who go to poor countries pay the same amount each month as those who go to really expensive countries to serve.

It seems that all we are doing is just learning. My mind feels like a sponge at the moment. My daily schedule goes something like this. I spend 1 hour a day doing personal study, and then I spend an hour with my companion studying, then I spend an hour studying Portuguese. Then I spend more hours with teachers as well, learning Portuguese. It is Saturday and my companion is going to get here sometime today, I am excited for that. I have been a tag along elder with two other elders from Washington, who are both going to Rio as well. It will be nice to have my own companion! We also have a sister in our group. She is a solo sister too, she doesn't have a companion, her name is Sister Black, she is a fun addition to the crew and lightens up our day.

Please keep me posted with how life is going. Writing to me on Dear Elder or hand written letters are the best because I only have a limited time to use the computer. I would rather not read my letters at that time, because I need it to write them.

If you can please send me a black or grey sweater with long sleeves. It is very cold here. I am so glad for the things that you have taught me, and I am forever grateful for the life experiences you all have given me. I am almost out of time now, please post my address of FB and have people write me, I am always open to letters. Love your son, Elder Jordan Peterson