Jordan in Rio

Friday, March 18, 2011

Jordans Letter Mar 18th

Hey, how are you all doing? We had two people leave yesterday to Brazil, Elder Lable and an Elder Jones. Hopefully I am next week, or the beginning of the week after. I now have two companions again, the first is Elder Lange from Seattle Washington, and the other is Elder Vincent from Utah. Elder Lange was already in a tri-panionship before and we get along well. He is very good at Portugeuse; he once memorized 100 verbs in half an hour. I use him as my walking dictionary which is really nice because he is always able to help me when I need a little more assistance then I can handle. Elder Vincent has a hard time in the MTC-this is the start of his 11th week and if he doesn't get his visa he can be here for 15 weeks total, which is more time then all the Asian speaking areas for MTC time. It is probably a good thing he is here for this long because he has a very hard time with the language and has dyslexia like me. I have been teaching him good ways to learn things and he says it is really helping him to understand, so it is good that I can help.

In the TRC which is where we practice teaching-we teach in Portugese only, it was a real struggle to come up on a word you don't know and then you don't know the words to describe it, but that only happened 3 or 4 time in the 45 minutes-if you look at it like that-the language is coming along well-especailly since I did not have my "walking text book" companion with me at the time and was leading the lesson quite a bit.

All is well here, I really am enjoying all the learning that goes on here! It is really cool, this place is a special place, even if I try to remember stuff back home it is very hard to do, so that means with no knowledge of what is going on on the outside world, I have lots of time to see what is going on around me. This place is good because I get to find out a lot about me and found that I have answers to everybody's questions. It was just a little hard at first, but it is coming more smoothly by the day and that is great.

Thanks Dad for sharing those stories with me. We luckily made it to everything on time with daylight savings changes. We just got some humidifiers in my room which is very nice because the MTC buildings have drier air then the outside on a dry winters day. That means you usually wake up with a nose full of bloody cement like substance, and it is harder to sleep. Now that we have the humidifiers it is a little better. I like to sit by the humidifier at night and smell the nice moist air. All the trees are budding outside and the blossoms are about ready to pop and that is going to be cool unless my visa comes first and then I will go to Brazil and watch the trees grow!

My time is running short, thanks for the package, have a wonderful day and tchaozino which is portugeuse for little goodbye. Love, Elder Peterson ;)