Jordan in Rio

Monday, April 11, 2011

Jordan's Letter 4-1-11 Brazil

Hey Family,
How are you doing? I am here in Brazil and I got to email you today because I missed my P-day. I will get one more email from here and then I will be in Rio. The computer keyboard is weird, the letters are the same but it is different. I can't find the return button, so it will be one long paragraph. (except I will edit that-Mom note).

It is my second day here and I get to learn so much about the language here. There are 6 of us in the room and 2 are "Brazileros" so I talk to them as much as possible. There are many different accents here, some I understand completely, some I have to pay close attention to, and others I only get about 1/3 of what they are saying. I am one of the best American Portugeuse speakers...but I sill have lots I need to work on. Today I get to go to the city and practice being a missionary, giving out information and sharing messages, I am so excited. I hope it goes well. Today is the hottest day we have had since I have been here, I hope I doen't turn red as a tomoto while I am out there. Brazil is very cool, it is like Mexico in many ways...they even have Montazuma's revenge, go figure! It even smells like Mexico here and it is so humid, I love it! When I get out of the shower here my skin doesn't turn into flakes like it did back in dry Provo. It is nice to be in this wonderful weather. I don't know how it will be in Rio because I will be in the sun for hours every day, but for now I love it. The MTC here is not in a beautiful part of the city;it is almost like we have a 5 star hotel in the middle of shanty town. I love it, I am looking forward to serving the people and will do whatever I can.

There is a different attitude here towards learning compared to Provo. In Provo you were almost forced to learn, here you can see which missionaries are lazy and which are more studious. It is more unorganized. Much of what I am learning here is a review of what I learned before but I keep practicing my Portuguese and ask whatever I can think about in the language, so that I can get something out of my classes. I am always finding ways to learn. I am now at the point where I can read my Preach my Gospel with only looking up a word here or there, that is really nice. I am greatful for the gift of tongues that I have been given. I was talking to one of my Brazillian roomies yesterday and he asked me how long I had spoken Portugese; he was amazed when I told him 8 weeks. I told him when you only have 9 weeks total to learn something and the Lord is helping you, many things are possible. We had a nice laugh, but this experience is so good for me because I am always having to step outside of my comfort zone.

I hope you have a wonderful day, I tried telling you everything and my thoughts are scattered, but I hope you will understand. Now it is time for me to go-I love you and I am doing my best to serve the Lord. tchau is good bye- I hope it was spelled right...Jordan