Jordan in Rio

Monday, May 2, 2011

The SSSSSNAKE-Week 2 RIO


So my companion tells me that I am becoming the real deal Koli Poki (like in movie-other side of heaven). after all of last weeks experiences... there has been more!

We taught this girl and her name was Zulage and she is what we call on a mission a snake- in other words she is just after the missionaries... ask Ty abt it. She is 24 and has a kid. She has this story that was exactly like in the movie the pursuit of happiness, she had nothing in her house, not even a couch;just a sink, couple pieces of food, her clothes in one corner, and a mattress on the floor, and her 5 year old kid... but she really liked me, she would call me different times during the day, and always walk with me and many other things as well... in short, I got a baptism this week, even though my companion did pretty much all the work. 2 days ago I got sick, I almost threw up, and i was dizzy and my stomach hurt all day long. it was a not fun experience, plus every Irma (sister) had some different snake oil, or some different medicine for me to try that didn't work and everybody had their own opinion of what was wrong with me as well, what a fun day! yesterday was cool we had a huge tropical rain storm and our mission involves a lot of walking, especially because we have about 5 bucks left to our name for buses for the entire week, because our area is soooo big, and the president told us that we need to focus on this area that is the farthest away from us... so I will probably walk about at least 10 K a day now. Yesterday we had a cool little flash flood, especially when we are in the favela, because the steps to get down the hill were a waterfall, and that was our only way down. Also on our way home last night I almost got big by a dog; but I heard it coming so I turned around being ready to kick it up the throat and kill it. When it saw that I had no fear of it-it slowed down, but was still going for me, then I started going after it like I did when I was little and the cows were chasing me, and it left me alone... but my foot is always ready in Brazil to kill a little dog chasing me, because i don't want shots!! (Note: if they get bit they have to get painful rabies shots)

I am understandidng the accent finally and I can have conversations with the ward members, but teaching is still hard for me because you can't really always tell if the investigator understands what you are saying back to them. I'll send you guys some cool pics of me and my area... but i can only do 3 at a time so have patience, have a wonderful week.