Jordan in Rio

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Letter 5/30/2011

So my new area is called Iraja, it is nice but at the moment we are living in a place called Ramos and I even got to work here a couple days. Ramos is a ghetto area...remember when the police invaded that place in November? That is where these missionaries are working and I got to work with them -I got to be in a famous area a couple days. My new area Iraja is an upper middle class with some favellas as well but it is a really big area.

We had a meeting with the bishop Saturday and he talked to us for a long time without letting us say anything. Everything he said was good though. Finally, I said, "do you want to hear our vision for the area?" and I boldly told him what we were going to do and what we expected out of this area. He was surprised because (1) I have only been out here over a month and (2) I was very direct with what I told him. I might not be able to speak perfectly but I can speak with power! That ended the meeting. The last two years they have tried to start this area up about 4 times so I know that the president is watching us and we are planning to do good work here.

My new companion is awesome, his name is Elder Robinson and he is from Twin Falls Idaho. He only has 6 months left. Our president usually puts 2nd transfer missionaries with some of the hardest workers in the mission and I think this guy is. I make our plans, because I am good at that and then he teaches me to be a good missionary, so we both help each other out a lot. I think once we start teaching in this area we will see great success here. It might take a bit to get going, our phone is dead, we are short on money and I don't want to use my cards much. We get our money soon though. We are getting getting a tour of what our area is and getting things going so that we can get up to full speed.

Love all of you!